Thursday, November 15, 2007

My A$$ Fell Off!!!

About six months ago I went on a wheat-free, gluten-free diet. This of course was not by choice! My son, who was breastfed at the time, was diagnosed with a wheat allergy. This meant he and I had to eliminate all wheat products. At first the task seemed a little daunting, but now I don't really mind. Do I miss some food? DEFINATELY! Have I learned to get by without them? Yep!

The hardest part for me was the planning. It seems that all of the quick, on-the-go foods contain wheat. So I had to plan what I was going to eat, when, and where. If I was going out shopping I might bring along an apple or some carrots. Apparently I get kind of grouchy when I don't eat, so this was very helpful!

Surprisingly, there are many alternatives out there for wheat and gluten-free products. I am still able to eat pasta (it just happens to be made out of rice). I can also have frosted flake cereal (they're just made out of corn). I can even have a homemade cake (it just leaves funny aftertaste due to the garbanzo bean flour).

For me there have been many positive aspects of going wheat-free. One of the most noticeable changes has been in my physical stature. I no longer have a BUTT! It's not just small, it is non-existent! Most people would see this as a big plus, but it would be nice to fill out my pants a little. Another bonus has been my increased level of energy, this is especially important since I have a one-year old to chase around! I feel energized and my complexion has also improved. By avoiding foods with gluten I have also increased my intake of fruits and veggies -- a benefit in and of itself!

So, if you would like to feel more energized, have clear, glowing skin, and could stand to lose a few pounds... try cutting out gluten! Don't worry, you can still have chocolate!

No comments: